Last Updated on September 17, 2023
This is kind of like a salad but just a really tasty way to enjoy this ranch steak (aka beef shoulder steak) and summer’s bean bounty at the same time. Sweet green beans, creamy white beans, arugula and Parmesan are all tossed in a lemon-mustard vinaigrette with a little cream to round the dish out. Any kind of string beans can work here too, so if you don’t have green beans, try another kind you can find at the market. The same goes for the heavy cream; if you don’t have any on hand, try sour cream, crème fraîche or even half-n-half. Also, this salad gets better as it sits and all the flavors meld together.
- 2 8- ounce ButcherBox Grass-Fed Beef Ranch Steaks defrosted, rinsed and patted dry
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped shallot
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 anchovies in oil drained and chopped
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil plus more for serving
- 3 tbsp heavy cream half-n-half, crème fraîche or even sour cream
- ½ lb green or yellow wax beans blanched
- 2 cups cooked white beans
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 cups arugula
- ½ cup thinly shaved Parmesan
- Season the steak with salt and pepper and set aside. In a large mixing bowl whisk together the lemon juice, shallot, mustard and anchovies. Let sit for 5 minutes then add the olive oil and heavy cream, green beans and white beans. Lightly toss and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over high. Add the canola oil and once hot, place the steaks in the pan and sear until deeply browned and a crust has formed on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Turn the steak over and cook the other side until medium rare or it registers 135º F with an instant-read thermometer, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Add the arugula and ¼ cup of the Parmesan to the salad bowl with the beans mixture, toss well to combine and transfer to a serving platter or individual plates. Slice the steak thinly against the grain and arrange on top of the salad. Drizzle with a little more olive oil and sprinkle the remaining shaved Parmesan over the top.