Take a look at that cross-grain—that’s the telltale characteristic of any flank steak (in addition to its crowd-pleasing taste).
The flank steak is a large, flat cut taken from the extremely flavorful flank primal. It’s whole and generally not divided into smaller portions.
Rich, meaty and quick cooking, this is your best bet for beefed-up buffets or large parties. We like to marinate it and grill it, then slice thinly against the grain for added tenderness.
- 3 pkg ButcherBox Flank Steaks
- 6 ea limes zested
- ½ c cilantro chopped
- ½ c garlic minced
- ¼ c extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the Grill
- 1 c hickory wood chips
- Preheat charcoal grill with coals placed on one side of grill.
- Mix cilantro, garlic, lime zest and extra-virgin olive oil in a large bowl and rub all over steaks.
- Place hickory wood chips directly on coals and place steaks on grill surface over coal area.
- Cover grill and grill flank steaks for 5 minutes. Turn steaks 90°, cover grill and grill for 5 more minutes.
- Flip steaks, cover grill and grill 5 more minutes. Move steaks to cool part of grill, cover and continue cooking until internal temperature on instant-read thermometer registers 120°F.
- Let rest at least 10 minutes and slice thinly against the grain. Enjoy!