Last Updated on January 22, 2024
Dive into the world of irresistibly crispy and flavorful chicken wings with our ultimate guide on baking, air-frying, and grilling. Whether you’re a fan of the classic oven-baked goodness, the rapid precision of air-frying, or the smoky charm of the grill, we’ve got expert tips to ensure your wings are a triumph of taste and texture.
6 Tips for Crispier Chicken Wings
To achieve a crispy texture you’ll need to reduce moisture and start with thoroughly dried wings. These six tips will help you achieve just that. Use this list to experiment and find a method that works best for you. Combine multiple tips for the best results.
- Dry-Brine: Season the wings with salt & pepper and place them on a wire rack in the refrigerator for 1-24 hours. This will help dry the skin, which is essential for a crispy texture.
- Dry Batter: Lightly toss/coat your chicken wings in a seasoned dry batter (your choice of seasonings mixed with flour, corn starch, or baking soda)
- Butter/Oil: Before baking, brush your wings with butter or olive oil to crisp the skin.
- Use A Wire Rack: Aways bake your chicken wings on a rack to allow fat to drip down and keep the wings from getting soggy — similar to using a wired frying basket inside of a convention oven
- Venting: While baking, open the oven a bit for about 2 minutes to let some steam and moisture escape.
- Parboil: Some cooks swear by this method. Consider boiling your wings for 6-7 minutes to render some of the fat, allowing the wings to get ultra-crispy in the oven. Thoroughly pat the wings dry and let rest on a wire rack before cooking.
Now that you know the secret to perfectly crispy chicken wings, give one of these recipes a shot using your newfound wing-crisping superpowers.
When baking wings, remember tips 4, 5, and 6. Use a wire rack, vent your oven to reduce moisture, and consider parboiling.
- Crispy Air-Fryer Garlic Chicken Wings with Hot Honey
- Coconut Party Wings with GF Ponzu Dipping Sauce
- Easy Baked Chicken Wings with Tangy Yogurt Dip
Air fryers work by circulating hot air around the food at a high speed to cook and crisp it. Be sure to spread your wings out to allow the hot air to circulate evenly. You’ll find tips 1-3 helpful if you’re looking for crispy, air-fried wings.
Grilling your chicken wings to impart a smoky char and succulent flavor, creating a perfect balance of crispy skin and juicy tenderness.