Crusted with flavorful seasonings like fennel, mustard and molasses-y brown sugar, this ham recipe is deliciously simple and might be just the large-format roast you need for that spring soiree.
Simply rub the ham with the spice mixture, then roast, basting with a luscious butter broth. You’ll cook potatoes and snap peas in the same pan as the ham, and use the basting liquid as a tasty sauce for the vegetables, so this show-stopping dish is as simple as it is delicious.
Serve the ham and vegetables with whole-grain mustard, and toss a quick salad to serve on the side–or offer a basket of soft rolls to make sandwiches.
- 1 6 1/2-pound ButcherBox Spiral Cut Ham defrosted, pat dry
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds coarsely ground
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds coarsely ground
- 1 tbsp Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 1 tsp crushed chili flakes
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 ounces baby potatoes
- 8 ounces snap peas trimmed
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Place the ham in a large roasting pan or at least a 9-by-13-by2-inch sized baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar, fennel seed, mustard seed, salt and chili flakes. Rub the sugar-spice mixture all over the ham, but not in-between the individual spiral slices. Add the butter to the roasting pan and pour 2 cups of water over the butter.
- Bake the ham, uncovered, until the outside is golden brown and a meat thermometer stuck into the thickest part reaches 140F, about 1 to 1 ½ hours, basting several times during roasting time. Transfer the ham to a platter, tent with foil and let rest for at least 20 minutes before serving. Leave the oven on.
- While the ham is resting, toss the potatoes in the sauce in the roasting pan and place back in the oven. Roast until fork tender, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring halfway through. Add the snap peas to the pan and continue roasting until the snap peas are just cooked though but still crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer the potatoes and peas to a serving platter.
- Serve the potatoes and snap peas with the ham and the pan sauce.