Last Updated on December 20, 2022
ButcherBox’s Chicken Drumsticks soak up a tangy buttermilk-based marinade before roasting until golden brown, becoming incredibly tender and juicy. A zippy, crunchy spiced slaw makes this a light and easy, yet satisfying, weeknight dinner.
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 5 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2 in ginger, finely grated
- 1 lemon, zested
- Kosher salt
- 3 lbs ButcherBox Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp crushed chili flakes
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 5 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 8 cups red or green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped herbs, mix of cilantro and dill
- Combine the buttermilk, onion powder, garlic, ginger, lemon zest and 2 tablespoons kosher salt in a large bowl and mix very well to combine. Add the drumsticks and massage the buttermilk marinade into each piece. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line a sheet pan with parchment. Transfer drumsticks to the sheet pan, letting excess buttermilk drain back into the bowl. Place the drumsticks evenly spaced apart, alternating the directions of the legs.
- Place the sheet pan on the middle rack and bake for 15 minutes, then rotate the pan and bake for another 15 minutes. After that, rotate and bake for 10, then rotate one last time and bake for 10 (all this rotating helps the chicken brown evenly). The chicken is done when well browned and still juicy and a meat thermometer registers 165°F (73.9°C), about 55 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, make the slaw. Mix the cumin, coriander, black pepper, and chili flakes together in a small bowl. Add half of the spice mix to a large bowl with the olive oil, vinegar and 1½ teaspoons kosher salt. Then add the cabbage and toss very well by hand or with tongs, taste, season with more salt, if needed, and set aside.
- To serve, toss the chopped herbs into the slaw, transfer to serving plates. Place the buttermilk drumsticks on top and sprinkle on the remaining spices.
ButcherBox Kitchen Team
The ButcherBox Kitchen Team works hard to give you confidence you need to pull off any kitchen endeavor.