Savory sausage patties made from ButcherBox’s Breakfast Sausage, crisp-edged sweet potato hash browns, and an egg so delicately poached it’s just a matter of when it bursts, enriching the sausage patties even more. Try not to move your sweet potato hash browns too much while they’re cooking to let them get crispy!
- 2 tbsp olive oil plus more if needed
- 1 lb ButcherBox Pork Breakfast Sausage
- 4 cups coarsely grated sweet potato (about 1, ¾- pound sweet potato peeled if you prefer)
- 1 large shallot sliced into thin rings
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped or grated
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 large eggs
- More kosher or flake salt for serving
- Black pepper for serving
- Lightly grease a sheet pan or large platter with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Then divide the sausage mixture into 8 pieces and form them directly on the greased sheet pan into patties 4 inches wide and about ¼ to ½-inch thick. Make sure both sides of the patties are rubbed with oil.
- In a large bowl, toss sweet potato, shallots, garlic, and 1½ teaspoons salt together. Then add cornstarch and mix it in well.
- Heat a medium to large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Place 2 to 3 patties down and cook until browned and crispy on the bottoms, about 2–3 minutes, then turn the patties over and cook until the sausage is cooked through and no longer pink, registering 160° F (71.1° C) on a meat thermometer. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined platter and repeat with the remaining patties. Drain the sausage fat from the pan to a small bowl.
- Prepare poaching water by bringing about 3–4 inches of water in a medium skillet to a rapid simmer; keep adding water if it gets lower than 3 inches.
- Add 2 teaspoons of the sausage fat back to the pan and sprinkle in about ¼ of the sweet potato mix. Press the potato mixture flatly into the pan and cook until golden and browned in spots, about 5 minutes, then turn in batches and cook the other side until semi-crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer to serving plates.
- Poach the eggs by lowering them, in batches of 2, into the simmering water. When the whites are cooked through and the egg can easily be scooped up, about 3–5 minutes, they are done. Transfer to the serving plates. Repeat with remaining 2 eggs.
- To serve, transfer the sausage patties to the serving plates, season the hash browns and egg with flake salt and pepper.
Share on Pinterest!Pin at @Butcher_Box!
The ButcherBox Kitchen Team works hard to give you confidence you need to pull off any kitchen endeavor.