Tender, juicy chicken rubbed with turmeric, shallots and garlic, a bright honeyed broth, crisp-tender green beans and the crunch of toasted almonds—this recipe is pure comfort on a brisk spring day. It all comes together relatively quickly, too, thanks to the high-pressure steam in the Instant Pot.
Bonus: This recipe creates a generous amount of flavorful broth. While the chicken cooks, put on a pot of rice to soak up the broth. Alternatively, you can serve it with thick-cut toast or rice noodles.
If you have extra broth, let it cool and then refrigerate it. Try cooking rice or another grain in it, add a few splashes to a stir-fry or sauce—or freeze it to enjoy later on.
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 medium to large shallot finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp Diamond Crystal kosher salt plus more
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 ButcherBox Whole Chicken defrosted, pat dry and any excess skin trimmed, gizzards discarded
- 1 pound green beans trimmed
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds toasted
- Cooked rice for serving
- Place the wire rack into the base of the Instant Pot. Pour the stock and wine into the base; stir in the honey.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the turmeric, cumin, black pepper, shallot, garlic, lemon zest and salt. Pour in the melted butter, mix well with a fork, then place the chicken in the bowl and thoroughly rub the butter-spice mixture all over, including under the skin.
- Place the chicken, breast-side up, into the Instant Pot. Close and lock the lid and keep the vent on the sealed position. Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes per pound (27 minutes if the chicken weighs 4 ½ pounds) or until temperature reads 165 with a meat thermometer. Once done, quickly release the pressure, unlock and open the pot and transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Let cool for about 15 minutes, then pull the meat off the bones and shred.
- Transfer the broth from the Instant pot to a medium saucepan; place over medium-high heat until it simmers. Adjust the heat to keep it at a simmer. Add the green beans and simmer until just-cookedslightly softened but still crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer the beans to a serving platter or individual bowls. Raise the heat to medium-high and cook the broth until it has reduced by half. Remove from the heat. Taste and season with additional salt, if needed.
- Place the chicken and green beans over rice. Spoon with some of the broth over it, sprinkle with the almonds and serve.