We love a good whiskey cocktail. We love it better when it’s bacon whiskey! With true American flair, Chef Yankel has designed this seasonal cocktail to warm those wintry nights. The secret to the Gingerly Johnnie is in the simple syrup: It’s like drinking a light, candied bacon, perfectly balanced with the ginger and apple elements that come later. And remember to use a good-quality blended scotch if you can’t get your hands on Johnnie Red. Don’t tread gingerly for this one!
Gingerly JohnniePrint Pin
Bacon Ginger Simple Syrup - yield: 2 cups
- 3 slices ButcherBox Bacon cooked until crispy, crumbled
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 c turbinado sugar
- 1 c water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Gingerly Johnnie Cocktail
- 2 slices Granny Smith apples lightly charred
- 4 oz Bacon Ginger Simple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp ginger slices
- 4 oz Johnnie Walker Red Label
- splash of ginger ale
Candied Apple Garnish
- 4 slices Red Delicious apple thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- Mix all simple syrup ingredients in a sauce pot and simmer for 10 minutes, Strain and chill.
- For the candied apple garnish, place apple on wire rack set in a baking sheet, top apple slices with brown sugar and broil until sugar is melted. Chill in freezer.
- Place ginger slices, charred apple and Johnnie Walker in cocktail shaker and muddle.
- Add simple syrup and ice to cocktail shaker, then shake vigorously.
- Pour over crushed ice in serving glass and top with a splash of ginger ale. Garnish with candied apple. Cheers!