Last Updated on January 4, 2022
Perfect for backyard cookouts any time of the year, this homemade turkey burger is one of our favorite ways to use ground turkey.
Because ground turkey is very lean, it can easily dry out when grilling. This recipe uses the moisture from minced onions and a bit of fat in the form of olive oil to avoid ending up with a dried-out turkey burger.
Turkey burgers are also perfect to experiment with seasonings and flavors. Combine this recipe with our homemade mango BBQ sauce and air fryer onion rings for a burger that will become one of your grilling favorites.
Grilled Turkey Burger
- 1 pound ButcherBox ground turkey
- 1 whole yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped (Optional)
- Dice ½ peeled onion into a mince of small pieces.
- Mix ground turkey, minced onion, dried oregano, garlic powder, cumin powder, fresh black pepper, a pinch of kosher salt, and paprika in a bowl.
- Add olive oil. (You can substitute with butter or any other cooking oil.)
- From the mixture, create four, medium-sized burgers, about ½ an inch each.
- Lightly coat with olive oil and place on the medium-hot section of your grill.
- Grill for 1½ minutes and turn clockwise for even cooking. After 5 minutes, flip burgers and add BBQ sauce or your favorite sauce. Turn after another 1½ minutes. After about another 2-5 minutes, move to a cooler side of the grill for a few minutes and add cheese and other toppings.
- Turkey burgers are done when they reach 165°F. Enjoy!
Yankel Polak is the Head Chef at ButcherBox.