The New York strip roast is a lean cut that comes from the loin. Picture several cuts of this beef side by side, and you have a beautiful meal that’s ready for the roasting pan—and your holiday table. Just cook it with the fat side up to keep the meat tender and juicy.
Our Favorite Recipe for New York Strip Roast
The New York strip roast is one of our holiday favorites, and an instant-read thermometer can give you confidence in achieving a perfect cook.
- 1 pkg ButcherBox NY Strip Roast
NY Strip Roast Rub
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp coffee
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar omit from recipe for Keto version
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 Tbsp smoked salt or kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 4 cups mushrooms roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp champagne vinegar
- 4 oz butter thinly sliced
- 4 oz butter melted for brushing the roast
- Mix rub ingredients in a small bowl and rub all over roast. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 225°F. Unwrap roast and bring to room temperature, about 40 minutes.
- Mix mushrooms and onions and spread out on sheet pan.
- Sprinkle champagne vinegar and sliced butter onto mushrooms/onion mixture.
- Place roast fat-side up on top of mushroom bed, and roast in oven for 90 minutes, or until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part reads 110°F.
- Remove from oven and rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours.
- 40 minutes before serving, preheat oven to 425°F.
- Brush roast with melted butter and finish roasting for 20 minutes, or until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part reads 125°F.
- Rest for 20 minutes before slicing. Serve with mushrooms and onions over the top and an extra drizzle of oil and smoked salt.