Super crispy skinned and tender meat chicken thighs, vegetal artichokes, bright wine, and crispy garlic oil make this feel super Mediterranean, week-night friendly, and just overall delicious. Plus, after you’ve bought a bottle of wine just for this recipe (a whole 2 cups is called for here), you’re left with a couple of glasses to sip on while the chicken simmers in the oven.
- 3 lb bone-in, skin-on ButcherBox Chicken thighs about 4–6 thighs
- Kosher salt
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 tbsp canola oil or other high-heat sauté oil
- 2 15oz. cans artichoke hearts drained and sliced in half
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 small bay leaves
- 2 cups white wine such as Pinot Grigio
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley or thyme
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Season chicken all over with salt and set aside. Cut onion into 1-inch wedges so they are still attached to the root end, but discard the first papery skin layer.
- Heat canola oil a large skillet over high heat. Once the oil is hot and shimmery, sear the chicken, skin side down, until fully golden, about 7–9 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of the oil and place the onion wedges into the remaining hot oil. Sear them for about 2 minutes, then bring the chicken thighs back to the pan, nestling them on top of the onions.
- Place the artichokes, cut side up, in between the chicken pieces, making sure the chicken’s skin isn’t covered much. Place the black peppercorns and bay leaf into the pan too, then pour the wine over the top. Bring to a simmer, then transfer to the middle rack of the oven. Bake until the skins get very golden brown and the chicken registers 165°F (73.9°C) on a meat thermometer. The artichoke pieces should be singed around the edges, the onions tender and the wine reduced by about half, about 45–55 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the garlic-herb oil. Heat the 4 tablespoons of olive oil and garlic in a small pot over medium low heat. Stir regularly until the edges of the garlic start to turn gold, about 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and let cool completely and then add the chopped oregano and thyme.
- Serve the chicken with artichokes, garlic and wine juices on plates with garlic-herb oil spooned over the top.
Share on Pinterest!Pin at @Butcher_Box!
ButcherBox Kitchen Team
The ButcherBox Kitchen Team works hard to give you confidence you need to pull off any kitchen endeavor.