Last Updated on April 26, 2022
One of our favorite ways to cook scallops is to sear them over high heat in a heavy skillet on the stovetop. They get nice and browned and stay tender inside. But if you’re making a meal that requires the stove and you want a good hands-off scallop recipe, this one’s as simple as it gets.
You could fancy it up a bit by adding a splash of wine to the pan with the melted butter; tossing a couple of thyme sprigs into the dish to perfume the scallops while they bake; or sprinkling the tops of the shellfish with breadcrumbs for some crunchy contrast.
But these scallops are so packed with flavor, you don’t need to do much to make them totally delicious.
- 1 pound ButcherBox scallops thawed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Set the oven to 400°F. Pat the scallops dry and place them in an oven-safe skillet. Toss with the butter and salt and place in the oven for 17-20 minutes, until the scallops have firmed and released some of their liquid.
- Remove from oven and place scallops on a plate. Place the skillet with the buttery cooking liquid on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Add the lemon juice and cook until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the scallops back to the pan and toss to coat in the liquid. Serve immediately. Lovely with a root vegetable puree and a seasonal salad.
ButcherBox Kitchen Team
The ButcherBox Kitchen Team works hard to give you confidence you need to pull off any kitchen endeavor.