Last Updated on November 19, 2021
Put a twist on traditional green beans with this smoky, savory side dish that will have everyone at the table asking for seconds.
- 1 pkg ButcherBox Bacon julienned
- 3 lbs green beans or haricots verts trimmed
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Add 3 quarts of cold water to a stock pot with 1 tablespoon of kosher salt. Bring to a boil.
- In a large mixing bowl set up an ice bath. Cold water and ice.
- Drop half of the trimmed green beans into the boiling water. Remove green beans when they turn bright green. Approximately 2-3 minutes. Immediately, place green beans in ice bath to stop carryover cooking.
- Let water come to a boil again before dropping remaining green beans and repeat process. Strain from ice bath and set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan on medium-low heat. Place half of julienned bacon in hot pan and sauté for 4 minutes.
- Once fat has rendered out of the bacon and it starts to crisp add half of the green beans and season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and platter.
- Repeat process with second half of bacon and green beans.Chef tip: green beans can be steamed the day before and placed in a resealable container and stored in the refrigerator.
Emilie Abijanac is a graduate of New England Culinary Institute with over 20 years of catering experience in Boston. Emilie was the Sous Chef for East Meets West Catering and has worked with Kate’s Table and La Fête. Emilie was also the culinary director of ButcherBox.