This creamy shredded-potato casserole is loaded with plenty of nutty Gruyere cheese and lots of crispy bacon.
- 1 pkg ButcherBox bacon
- 5 lbs russet potatoes
- 2 medium onions
- 2½ c Gruyère cheese grated
- 3 Tbsp tapioca starch or potato starch
- 5 ea eggs
- ½ c heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Preheat 9” x 13” casserole dish in oven while prepping kugel.
- Lay out bacon on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until crispy. Reserve bacon fat.
- Whisk together eggs, cream, 1 Tbsp kosher salt, pepper and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Fill a pot up with cold water and 1 Tbsp salt. Peel russet potatoes and put in pot so they don’t oxidize before shredding them.
- Shred onions with hand grater or food processor with large shredder attachment. Squeeze all liquid out of the shredded onions and place onions in a large bowl. Repeat process for potatoes.
- Once bacon is crispy and at room temperature, chop and toss with Gruyère cheese. Reserve ¾ c of bacon and cheese mixture and set aside.
- Mix tapioca starch and remaining bacon and cheese mixture in the large bowl with the potatoes and onions.
- Whisk egg mixture again before pouring over potato mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Remove preheated casserole dish from oven and brush all sides with reserved bacon fat. Careful, remember that casserole dish just came out of the oven so it's HOT!
- Carefully pour potato mixture into casserole or baking dish and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 1 ½ hours. Sprinkle the reserved cheese/bacon mixture and bake for an additional 10 minutes for cheese to melt and begins to turn golden-brown. Let potato casserole rest for 5 minutes before cutting and serving. Enjoy!
Share on Pinterest!Pin at @Butcher_Box!