Last Updated on October 19, 2021
If you’re looking to tap into your favorite fall flavors, this grain bowl is sure to hit the spot. This recipe is filled with fall harvest ingredients like cranberries, figs, and fennel to give you those sweater weather vibes. However, don’t be afraid to customize it to your preferences by adding more of one ingredient or substituting in the veggies, grains, and proteins you love.
You can also make meal prep incredibly easy by doubling this recipe. Enjoy these delicious flavors all week long or build a different grain bowl using the pre-cooked quinoa and roasted chicken.
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika-based spice blend (Recommended: La Boite’s Ararat spice blend)
- ⅓ cup cranberries frozen or fresh
- 1 bulb fennel with fronds sliced
- 3-5 fresh figs sliced in half
- 1 cup quinoa
- ½ lemon
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place chicken breasts on a sheet pan. Sprinkle paprika-based spice blend over the chicken.
- Place cranberries, fennel slices, and fresh figs cut-side down onto a sheet pan. Season the ingredients, including chicken, with salt and pepper. Then drizzle olive oil over them.
- Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until chicken registers 160°F on a meat thermometer.
- While everything roasts, place quinoa in a rice cooker and add the designated amount of water. Turn on white rice setting (or equivalent).
- When everything is done cooking, place quinoa in a bowl. Slice one chicken breast and place it in the bowl. Place the desired amount of fennel, cranberries, and figs in the bowl. Sprinkle fresh fennel fronds on top and add a spritz lemon juice.
Kristina DeMichele is the Digital Content Strategist at Harvard Magazine. She is also a freelance copyeditor who has worked for America's Test Kitchen as the Senior Content Editor of Cook's Illustrated Magazine.