Zucchini and Leek GratinPrint Pin
Prep Time: 55 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- 6 medium zucchini cut into ¼" thick slices
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 3 ea leek medium dice
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp buckwheat flour any flour can be used
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 c milk
- ½ c parmesan cheese grated
- 2 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 c parmesan cheese grated
- 1 c gluten-free panko any panko or breadcrumbs can be used
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place sliced zucchini in a collander and sprinkle with 2 Tbsp kosher salt. Toss and set aside for 45 minutes. Place collander on a baking sheet to catch water.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan on medium heat melt 3 Tbsp butter. Add cleaned, diced leeks to melted butter and sauté until translucent, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Add flour, salt and pepper to butter and leeks, making a roux.
- Turn heat down to low. Gradually whisk milk into leek roux. This will be thick, a paste like consistancy. This is fine, the zucchini will release more water while baking and will loosen the thick cream sauce.
- Place 3 layers of paper towels on a work surface. Lay zucchini rounds in a single layer on paper towels. Take another 3 layers of paper towels to press on top of zucchini to get all excess. Repeat process until all zucchini rounds have been "dried".
- Build gratin as a lasagna, layers. In a 9 x 13 casserole dish smear tablespoon full of leek mixture, next place single layer of zucchini on top, smear another couple spoonfulls of leek mixture on top of zucchini and finish with 2 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese. Repeat layers until finished.
- Top gratin with breadcrumb topping, spread out evenly and bake for 45 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients together.
Share on Pinterest!Pin at @Butcher_Box!