Last Updated on January 6, 2020
Nestle a seared chuck roast in the slow-cooker with root vegetables, add beef stock and tomatoes, and wait for dinner to cook itself. It’s sure to be a family favorite.
- 1 pkg ButcherBox Chuck Roast or Shoulder Roast
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 c baby carrots whole
- 1 lb small red potatoes whole or quartered if large
- 2 c pearl onions peeled, whole
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 ½ c beef stock
- 1 c crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- Preheat sauté pan on medium high heat.
- Pat dry and season chuck roast with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add avocado oil to hot pan and sear chuck roast, 3 minutes per side.
- Place potatoes, baby carrots, onions and fresh thyme sprigs in slow cooker, put seared chuck roast on top of vegetables.
- Deglaze pan with beef stock. Scrape bits off the bottom of pan. Add crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Whisk to break up tomato paste. Simmer for 2 minutes then pour over roast and vegetables.
- Set slow cooker on high setting for 6-8 hours, or low setting for 12-16 hours. Enjoy!
Emilie Abijanac is a graduate of New England Culinary Institute with over 20 years of catering experience in Boston. Emilie was the Sous Chef for East Meets West Catering and has worked with Kate’s Table and La Fête. Emilie was also the culinary director of ButcherBox.