Last Updated on June 6, 2022
Packed with a rich mix of beef and bacon, these plump buns work well as snacks or appetizers. If you find yourself with extras, freeze them for future use, they reheat well for a quick meal.
- 1 pound ButcherBox ground beef
- 6 strips thick-cut bacon diced
- 1 medium yellow onion peeled and finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tubes Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
- 1 egg yolk
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and sauté the bacon until it starts to brown, stirring frequently—about 8 minutes.
- Add the onion and sauté until the onion is translucent and the bacon is golden brown, stirring frequently—about 8 minutes.
- Add the beef and sauté until it is cooked through and browned, stirring frequently to break up clumps—about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, stir to incorporate fully, and sauté it until you can smell the garlic cooking, about 1-2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and cool the beef mixture.
- Flour a work surface and unroll the tubes of dough onto the surface. Separate each roll into 8 equal pieces for 24 pieces total.
- Heat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper. Whisk together egg yolk and 1 teaspoon of water.
- Place 2 heaping tablespoons of the beef mixture at the center of a dough round. Bring together opposing sides of the dough and pinch together to form an open-ended tube. Then fold each open end towards the center and pinch the dough so it's tightly sealed, creating a pill-shaped bun. Turn it over and place it seam side down. Brush top with egg wash. Repeat with remaining dough rounds.
- Cook for about 15 minutes—the buns will be light amber brown and firm to the touch. Cool for 10 minutes before eating.
Nevin Martell is a D.C.-area based food and travel writer, parenting essayist, recipe developer, and photographer whose work has appeared in The Washington Post, National Geographic, Fortune, Travel + Leisure, and many other publications. His eight books include Red Truck Bakery Cookbook: Gold-Standard Recipes from America's Favorite Rural Bakery and The Founding Farmers Cookbook: 100 Recipes for True Food & Drink, It’s So Good: 100 Real Food Recipes for Kids. Find him on Instagram @nevinmartell, on Twitter @nevinmartell, and online at nevinmartell.com.