Last Updated on October 6, 2021
If you like any type of slaw, you’ll love this recipe. And maybe if you’ve never liked slaw in your life, you’ll still love it! This refreshing, crunchy salad really lets the apples shine, and goes a long way to balance out the heavier elements of the beef taco.
Sweet and Sour NY Strip Tacos with Cabbage Slaw
- 2 ButcherBox NY Strip Steaks
- 2 tablespoons ghee for searing
Marinade & Slaw Dressing
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 cups shredded napa cabbage
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup shredded Gala apple any apple works!
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro optional, for garnish
- Mix all marinade ingredients. Use ½ of mixture to marinate the steaks overnight, and reserve the other ½ for the slaw.
- Mix cabbage, apples, and carrots. Dress with reserved marinade/dressing and refrigerate overnight for the best flavor.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Preheat cast-iron skillet over high heat. Remove steaks from marinade and pat dry. Add ghee to pan, and once ghee has melted, sear steaks on both sides for 2 minutes per side.
- Place skillet in oven and roast until thermometer inserted into thickest part of steak reads 120°F, about 6 minutes. Let rest 8 minutes before slicing thin.
- Serve the steak topped with the slaw in your favorite taco shell or sticky bun. Garnish with fresh cilantro.