Last Updated on January 18, 2023
ButcherBox’s Bacon is great on its own, but simply tossing those smoky-pork slices with more spices and aromatics like lime zest and paprika, zests up the bacon even more. Tinted red from the paprika, bacon strips are crown jewels for these indulgent tacos with fried eggs and buttery avocado.
- 3 large avocados
- 2 juicy limes, zested and zest set aside
- Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 8 slices ButcherBox Bacon
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp canola oil or other high heat friendly neutral
- 4 eggs
- 4 corn or flour tortillas
- Make avocado mash by slicing, pitting and then scooping the avocado meat out into a bowl. Juice 1 lime into the bowl and mash the avocado with the back of a fork or masher into a chunky mix: season with salt, and set aside. Cut the
- In a medium bowl, mix together the paprika, coriander, sesame seeds and lime zest. Add the bacon slices and gently toss the mixture to coat well. Line a plate with a paper towel.
- Heat a large non-stick or cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the bacon slices in a single layer (work in batches, if needed) and cook, turning and adjusting the bacon to cook evenly on both sides until crispy and dark orange from the paprika, about 6–8 minutes.
- Transfer bacon to the paper-towel-lined plate. Discard (or save for other use) the bacon grease and wipe the pan clean.
- Heat the tortillas on both sides however you prefer—in a pan, microwave or over direct gas flames—until soft, pliable, and hopefully with some browned or charred edges, if working with a flame. Spread the avocado mash on each tortilla and place them on serving plates.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil over high heat. Once it’s very shimmery and hot, crack 2 eggs into the pan from close distance, making sure the eggs are spaced apart and aren’t touching. Leave the eggs untouched until the edges are golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Then tilt the pan so you can spoon up excess oil. Baste that oil on the raw egg whites to help finish cooking them. Turn off the heat, season them with salt, then transfer the eggs to the tortillas with avocado using a spoon or slotted spatula.
- To serve, top each taco with 2 slices of spiced bacon, a sprinkle of cilantro, and squeeze of lime.
ButcherBox Kitchen Team
The ButcherBox Kitchen Team works hard to give you confidence you need to pull off any kitchen endeavor.