Last Updated on September 17, 2023
Naturally sweet, scallops contain sugars that caramelize beautifully when cooked at high heat, like on the grill. They also happen to be one of the easiest types of fish to thread on a skewer, so it just seems natural to want to grill them in the summer. Just remember that a clean grill and a high heat are key to success here. We like to pair these buttery grilled scallops with a rustic, chunky, avocado salsa that’s guacamole-esque but also a bit like pico de gallo. You can definitely make tacos with these scallops or tear up some butter lettuce and serve them as a salad or even as a rice bowl.
- 1 package ButcherBox Scallops defrosted and patted very dry
- Salt and pepper
- Canola oil
- 3 large medium-ripe avocados (not too soft, still sliceable)
- 1 lemon halved
- 1 pint cherry or sungold tomatoes
- ¼ cup finely chopped white onion
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 serrano chile stemmed, de-seeded and finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ cup olive oil
- In a medium bowl, season the scallops all over with salt and pepper then drizzle enough canola oil over and gently mix to coat each piece thoroughly. Thread the scallops on the skewers, about 4 to 5 apiece, and refrigerate until you are ready to grill.
- Cut the avocados in half, discard the pits, then cut each avocado half in half again, creating 4 pieces per avocado. Peel the skin off the avocados then dice avocados into medium-sized pieces. Transfer to a medium bowl and squeeze ½ of the lemon over the diced avocado pieces.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and add to the avocado bowl. Also add the onion, cilantro, serrano, cumin and coriander. Squeeze the other ½ lemon over, season with salt, gently toss and stir in the olive oil. Set aside.
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for high heat, making sure to clean the grates and lightly slick them with a kitchen rag or brush dipped in canola oil (alternatively heat a grill pan on the stove over high heat and drizzle 2 tablespoons of oil over). Once the grill is hot, grill the scallop skewers, undisturbed, until scallops are golden brown to lightly charred and have grill grate marks, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a serving platter.
- Serve the scallops immediately with the avocado salsa.