Last Updated on October 1, 2020
This recipe will take you through the steps to grill a savory tri-tip steak with a bonus potato salad recipe. This tender cut is easy to prepare with simple ingredients: salt, pepper, garlic powder, and olive oil—no fancy marinade or spicy rub required.
The potato salad is also quite easy to make, just char some potatoes as you grill your tri-tip.
- 1 pkg ButcherBox Tri-Tip Roast
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 med Yukon gold potatoes sliced to ½ thick inch slices
- 3 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 ea scallion stalks chopped
- 3 Tbsp sherry vinegar substitutions: red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- Set up a grill with one chimneys worth of charcoal off to the side.
- Season tri-tip with oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Add some wood chips to the charcoal.
- Once wood is smoking, move wood chips to far side of grill and place tri-tip above the smoking chips. Turn tri-tip every 10 minutes or so.
- Mix potatoes with 1 tsp olive oil, 1 tsp kosher salt, and 1 tsp black pepper
- Place potatoes on hot side of grill and grill for 10-15 minutes, flipping every 2-3 minutes, or until potatoes are softened.
- Remove potatoes from grill, add some more wood chips to charcoal and cover grill with vents open.
- Chop potatoes and mix with remaining ingredients.
- Once tri-tip reaches rare (115 f), sear over hot charcoal for 1-2 minutes per side.
- Let tri-tip rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing against the grain.
Share on Pinterest!Pin at @Butcher_Box!