Ah, roasted vegetables and carrot top pesto – among the very best reasons to visit the farmers’ market! Making all of your vegetables at once will ensure maximum efficiency and time-saving, while carrot top pesto is one of our favorite ways to use up the whole carrot. The tender tops of the carrot, also known as carrot greens, make a very tasty and unusual pesto if you’re sick of the usual version of arugula or basil pesto. Sprinkle pumpkin seeds on top if you’re feeling adventurous! Plus, everything is gluten-free. What more could you want?
Roasted Vegetables with Carrot Top Pesto for Meal PrepPrint Pin
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts cleaned and halved
- 1 head cauliflower cleaned and cut into medium pieces
- 2 bunches whole carrots (tops reserved for pesto) cleaned and cut in half lengthwise and widthwise
- 1 ea butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into ¼" thick half moons
- 1 ea acorn squash seeded and cut into 12 wedges
- 1 ea delicata squash seeded and cut into ¼" thick half moons
- 2 large red onions peeled and cut into ¼" thick slices
- 2 ea broccoli crowns cleaned and cut into medium pieces
- 1 ea lemon zested
- 1 c avocado oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
Carrot Top Pesto
- 2 bunches carrot tops fronds picked and thick stems removed
- 1 ea orange juiced and zested
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ c Parmesan cheese grated
- ¼ c avocado oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss each type of vegetable separately in 1 Tbsp of avocado oil and season with salt and pepper. For example, toss whole carrots in 1 Tbsp of oil, toss the broccoli in 1 Tbsp of oil, etc. Place 1 type of vegetable on baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes. Repeat process for the different vegetables.
- After roasting, toss all types of squash together.
- After roasting, toss broccoli with lemon zest.
- Once vegetables have cooled, portion two types of vegetables per meal prep container. This will give you different combinations and enough for 6 meals with Herb and White Wine Marinated Chicken Breasts.
- Place all ingredients in food processor excluding avocado oil. Puree on low speed for 3 minutes then add oil in a slow, steady drizzle.
- Portion sauce into airtight containers to serve with Herb and White Wine Marinated Chicken Breasts.