Last Updated on August 29, 2022
A giant meatball tucked into a ripe tomato and roasted to perfection: this recipe combines your favorite Italian flavors in a delightfully surprising way.
- 1 pkg ButcherBox Ground Beef
- 4 large tomatoes firm
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small yellow onion small dice
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ⅓ c milk substitution: half & half or heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut top off tomato and hollow out with melon baller (do not discard the top - it’ll be the “hat” while for the tomato during cooking). Toss hollowed out tomatoes with salt, pepper and olive oil, then place in small baking dish. Set aside.
- Preheat sauté pan, and add olive oil. Once oil is hot, sauté onions, garlic, dried herbs, salt and pepper in for 2 minutes.
- Combine ground beef, milk and sautéed onion mixture in a mixing bowl.
- Form ground beef mixture into four large meatballs, then stuff meatballs into hollowed out tomatoes. Place tomato “hat” on top of ground beef. Roast for 30 minutes. Enjoy with a simple green salad!
Share on Pinterest!Pin at @Butcher_Box!
Emilie Abijanac is a graduate of New England Culinary Institute with over 20 years of catering experience in Boston. Emilie was the Sous Chef for East Meets West Catering and has worked with Kate’s Table and La Fête. Emilie was also the culinary director of ButcherBox.