Red Wine Braised BrisketPrint Pin
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
- 1 pkg ButcherBox Beef Brisket
- ¼ c buckwheat flour your preferred flour can be used
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 2 c red wine
- 1 c beef stock
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 ea carrot cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 med onion large dice
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 ea bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Remove brisket from packaging and fully dry with paper towels.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper together. Fully coat brisket with flour mixture.
- Place a Dutch oven or deep roasting pan on the stovetop at medium heat, once pan begins to smoke add oil.
- Sear all sides of brisket. Remove from Dutch oven and set aside on dish.
- Keep Dutch oven on the heat and add aromatics, sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of red wine and tomato paste to aromatics. Scrap the bottom of the pan and reduce liquid for 3 minutes.
- Place brisket on top of aromatics and add remaining braising liquid. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover and place in oven for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours brisket will still be a little tough, perfect for slicing. Remove brisket and set on cutting board, let the brisket rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- While brisket rests prepare the sauce.
- Remove thyme sprigs, bay leaf and 1 cup of liquid. Do not discard reserved liquid.
- With an emersion blender, blend the remaining liquid with carrot, celery and onion. If sauce looks too thick add some of the liquid that was reserved. Season to taste.Chef Tip: No emersion blender no problem, use a stand blender and pour liquid back into Dutch oven.
- Slice brisket against the grain and carefully place brisket in Dutch oven with sauce.
- Cover and return to oven for 1 hour. Let brisket rest for 20 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Share on Pinterest!Pin at @Butcher_Box!