Here is a hearty, comforting recipe from the folks at PaleoHacks to warm you up on a cold winter night. Slow simmered beef meatballs are coated in a honey barbecue sauce for a sweet and smoky appetizer.
If you’re looking for a potluck recipe to bring to parties or to serve on game day, these super-tender meatballs nestled in a smoky sauce are a sure hit! This Paleo-friendly recipe makes a hefty batch of 22 meatballs, so there’s plenty to go around.
Store-bought barbecue sauces often contain tons of sugar and additives along with artificial flavoring. Instead, stir up this quick and tasty homemade sauce using Paleo ingredients like smoked paprika, cumin, and raw honey. Together, they create a flavor that dances on the taste buds.
Try this barbecue sauce in any of these grilled favorites:
- As a marinade for chicken
- Brushed on ribs and beef brisket
- On top of burgers
- Smothered on pulled pork
The meatballs are ultra-tender thanks to grass-fed beef that is not too lean. The fat adds moisture, which keeps the meatballs from drying out. Almond flour stands in for breadcrumbs to help bind the meatballs, while a single pasture-raised egg adds moisture. Together, these three ingredients make for a foolproof meatball.
Start by stirring together the ingredients for the honey barbecue sauce in a small bowl. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the ingredients for the meatballs and use your hands to thoroughly combine. Form the mixture into approximately 22 golf ball-sized meatballs.
Heat two tablespoons of avocado oil over medium heat in a skillet. Working in two batches, add meatballs to the skillet and brown for six minutes, turning as needed for even browning. Then, reduce the heat to low, add all the meatballs back to the pan, and pour the honey BBQ sauce over the top. Simmer the meatballs for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve hot. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Honey BBQ Meatballs
Prep time- 15 minutes
Cook time- 42 minutes
Total time- 57 minutes
Yield: 22 meatballs
Small mixing bowl
Medium mixing bowl
For Honey BBQ Sauce:
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup beef stock
1/4 cup raw honey
1 t ground cumin
2 t chili powder
1/2 t smoked paprika
1/4 t garlic powder
1/2 t sea salt
1 lb 85% lean grass-fed ground beef
1 cup blanched almond flour
2 pasture-raised eggs
1 t mustard powder
1 t dried oregano
1/4 t onion powder
1/2 t sea salt
1/4 t black pepper
2 T avocado oil
1. Stir together ingredients for honey barbecue sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine ingredients for meatballs (except avocado oil) and mix thoroughly to combine.
3. Form the meat into approximately 22 meatballs and set aside.
4. Heat the avocado oil over medium heat in a skillet. Working in batches, add meatballs and brown for six minutes. Set the cooked meatballs aside while the remaining meatballs brown.
5. Reduce heat to low and add all meatballs back to the pan. Pour the honey barbecue sauce over the meatballs and simmer for 30 minutes to cook through, stirring occasionally. Serve hot.