Last Updated on June 21, 2023
Our good friends at Paleohacks have shared another perfect winter recipe with us. Try this recipe in which crispy pasture-raised chicken thighs are roasted alongside onions, peppers, and artichokes in a tangy, lemony broth in this easy, one-pan recipe.
Rustic Greek flavors infuse the chicken in this recipe for a lip-smacking, Mediterranean-inspired, Paleo-friendly dinner. Dried herbs coat the chicken before quickly browning and roasting in the oven to lock in big flavor with minimal prep work required.
Chicken thighs often take a back seat to chicken breasts, but they’re the star of this recipe. Bone-in, skin-on thighs are juicy on the inside with a combination of light and dark meat, while the skin crisps up and locks in the herbs. Because these chicken thighs are so fatty, it’s near impossible to accidentally dry them out. For best results, be sure to pat the chicken thighs dry with a paper towel before sprinkling with spices to ensure the rub stays put.
Sweet bell pepper, tangy artichokes, and fragrant onions provide the backbone of the recipe and infuse their flavors into the sauce. They’re also chock-full of vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidants.
Start by mixing together the seasoning, then rubbing 1 teaspoon all over the skin side. Set the remaining spice rub aside. Heat ghee in a cast iron or other oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Set the chicken thighs skin-side down on the hot skillet and brown for 3-4 minutes. Use tongs to turn the chicken thighs over and brown an additional 3 minutes. Transfer chicken thighs to a plate, and don’t worry that they aren’t cooked all the way through yet — they will finish cooking in the oven.
Reduce the heat to medium-low, and add sliced onions and garlic to the skillet. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, then stir in chicken stock, bell peppers, and the remaining dry seasoning mixture. Arrange the chicken thighs on top, and decorate the pan with lemon wedges and artichokes. Transfer to oven and braise for 30-35 minutes or until chicken thighs are cooked through. Serve hot and enjoy!
Tip: Serve over sautéed cauliflower rice to soak up the buttery lemon herb sauce.
For the Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
For the Chicken
- 4 ButcherBox Bone-in Chicken Thighs
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 cup white onion sliced
- 1 clove garlic thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper diced
- 4 canned artichoke hearts halved
- 2 lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Meanwhile, blot the chicken thighs dry with a paper towel and set onto a plate.
- Stir together the dry seasonings in a small bowl. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the seasoning on the skin side of the chicken thighs, and use your hands to rub it into the skin.
- Heat ghee in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Once hot, add the chicken thighs to the skillet skin-side down, and brown for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn the chicken thighs and brown an additional 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add onions and garlic to the skillet and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the chicken stock, the diced bell pepper, and the remaining dry seasoning mixture. Arrange the chicken thighs on top and add the lemon wedges and artichokes. Transfer to the oven and braise for 25-30 minutes, or until chicken thighs are cooked through. Serve hot.