Last Updated on July 21, 2022
Made with a mix ground pork and beef, these juicy, flavorful kebabs are served over a salad with
creamy feta dressing. Quick to assemble, this satiating summery salad is an ideal for a weeknight
meal or last-minute cookout.
For the dressing:
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon whole milk plus more as needed
For the kebabs:
- 1 medium yellow onion quartered
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 cups packed parsley leaves
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground sumac
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 4-ounce packages of salad greens
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. If the dressing is too thick, add more milk and blend further. Place the dressing in an airtight container and refrigerate it until you’re ready to use it.
- Soak 12 wooden skewers in water for about 30 minutes. Preheat your grill to 450-500 degrees.
- To make the kebabs, place the onion, garlic, and parsley in a food processor and blend until the ingredients are fine chunks and well blended. Add the beef, lamb, and all the spices and seasonings. Blend until you have a well combined, pasty meat mixture.
- Divide the meat mixture into 12 equal portions. Form each one into a sausage shape about 1-inch wide and insert a skewer through its center.
- Lightly oil your grill grate. Carefully place the kebabs perpendicular to the metal spokes of the grate. Working in batches, grill the kebabs for about 4 minutes until golden brown on the bottom, then flip them over and grill for another 4 minutes until the other side is also nicely grilled.
- To assemble, toss the salad greens with the creamy feta dressing, remove the skewers from the kebabs, and place them on top of the salad.
Nevin Martell is a D.C.-area based food and travel writer, parenting essayist, recipe developer, and photographer whose work has appeared in The Washington Post, National Geographic, Fortune, Travel + Leisure, and many other publications. His eight books include Red Truck Bakery Cookbook: Gold-Standard Recipes from America's Favorite Rural Bakery and The Founding Farmers Cookbook: 100 Recipes for True Food & Drink, It’s So Good: 100 Real Food Recipes for Kids. Find him on Instagram @nevinmartell, on Twitter @nevinmartell, and online at nevinmartell.com.