Last Updated on January 4, 2022
Boneless chicken thighs are always a crowd pleaser. They’re moist, flavorful, and in this recipe, absorb a flavorful yogurt-based marinade for optimum tenderness. The grilled lemons add nice acidity, making these skewers a versatile entree for a summer dinner, served with salads, fresh pitas, or even as an appetizer to a larger feast.
- 1 1/3 cup whole milk yogurt divided
- 3 tablespoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1.5 pounds ButcherBox boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 lemons thinly sliced
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp chili oil
- Combine 1 cup yogurt, turmeric, paprika, and oregano in a bowl. Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper, add to a large zip-top bag or sealed container with yogurt marinade, toss to coat. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- To make the skewers, remove chicken from the fridge for 10 minutes. Wipe off excess marinade. Thread onto skewers, adding lemon slices between every few chicken pieces. Cook on a grill pan or grill heated to medium heat, rotating every 5 minutes, until chicken reaches 160 degrees. Allow to sit for five minutes before serving. Top with a sprinkle of salt.
- Meanwhile, make the yogurt sauce: Mix lemon juice, remaining 1/3 cup yogurt, chili oil and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Add 1 tsp of water to thin sauce, if needed.
- Serve chicken on greens or on a platter, drizzle with yogurt sauce, as desired.
Melissa is a writer and recipe developer living in Brooklyn. She contributes to several national publications including the New York Times, New York Magazine, Marie Claire, Conde Nast Traveler, WSJ Magazine, Real Simple, Time Out, Thrillist, Eater, Glamour and many more.