Last Updated on December 9, 2019
This is a guest post from Jeff Rossen, the Chief National Consumer Correspondent at Hearst Television. He is known for his Rossen Reports segment on the TODAY Show. Opinions expressed are Mr. Rossen’s opinion and do not represent the views and opinions of ButcherBox.
You know I’m all about the tips—my career has been built on bringing the best tips and advice to my viewers. I have to tell you about how to cook your steak…get this, from FROZEN!
First off, let’s talk about this big box on my counter, ButcherBox. I get all my steaks from them. My wife, Danielle, actually discovered the company online and got it as a gift for me earlier this summer (I love steak—a lot) and I’ve been obsessed ever since. I thought it was just steak, but they also have amazing ground beef, pork, chicken and scallops.
I’m lazy sometimes, okay a lot, so this is perfect. You order it all online and in 2-3 days it arrives at your door…it doesn’t get much better than that. They say everything comes frozen. I didn’t fully believe that at first. But it is! Everything comes frozen, solid as a rock. There are a few different box options—we used to have ButcherBox pick all the meat—like a surprise grab bag, they call their curated box—but now we’ve moved to the custom box where we get to pick the exact cuts we want to get in each box.
In a busy household like mine where my wife and I try to make sure we are feeding our family a meal that is healthy, whipping up together a meal in 30 minutes or less is key. Which leads me to my tip…
You can literally cook steak from frozen. Mind blown, right? I never knew that, I always thought you had to thaw it before cooking, but no! I talked to a ton of chefs and you can cook it right from the package when your ButcherBox arrives. So, you can be eating in 15 minutes! Chefs say it could even be better from frozen. All you need is a very hot cast iron pan, or grill, some seasoning and 15 minutes to cook. You be the judge—try it out and let me know what you think!
- 2 ea ButcherBox NY Strip Steak
- 1 c button mushrooms quartered
- 1 med onion thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Place packaged steaks in bowl with cool running water while you cut your vegetable.
- Preheat oven safe pan on stove top on medium-high heat.
- Remove steaks from package, pat dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Sear on one side for 2 minutes.
- Flip steaks and sear for 1 more minute.
- Add butter and garlic, wait for butter to foam and spoon over steaks for 1 minute. Remove steaks from pan and set aside.
- Add onions and mushrooms to pan and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add balsamic vinegar and return steaks back to the pan on top of vegetables and place in oven.
- Cook for 7-10 minutes or until steaks reach desired internal temperature. 115℉ and rising for medium-rare.
- Remove steaks from pan and let rest for 5-8 minutes before slicing. While steaks are resting reduce liquid in pan by half for a delicious pan sauce. Enjoy!