Forgetting to take the meat out of the freezer shouldn’t mean dinner is ruined. This easy recipe makes a delicious chuck roast straight from the freezer.
- 1 pkg ButcherBox Chuck Roast or Shoulder Roast
- root vegetables i.e. Carrots, Parsnips, Potatoes etc.
- button mushrooms Substitute with what you have
- 2 med onion
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ c red wine
- 1½ c beef stock substitutions: chicken stock, vegetable stock, or water
- Pre-heat pot to sauté mode
- Take your roast out of the freezer. Place roast, still in the package, into a bowl and place in the sink under cold running water to defrost the surface of the roast
- Rinse and roughly chop your vegetables. Cut your vegetables on the bigger side to maintain some integrity after cooking
- Salt and pepper your chuck roast liberally to ensure there is enough to penetrate the meat once it has defrosted in the instant pot.
- Add oil to the instant pot and let heat until you see some smoke on the oil. Place roast into the pot and press down to make sure there is good contact with the surface. Let brown on each side of roast for 3 minutes.
- Take roast out of the pot and set aside.
- Put tomato paste and herbs into the pot and mix. Let that cook for 1 minute.
- Add wine to deglaze the pot and then add your vegetables to the instant pot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place roast back in pot on top of the vegetables. Add your stock or water now to cover the vegetables.
- Put the lid to your pot on and change to pressure cook mode for an hour and a half. After an hour and a half, change to warm mode and let sit for half an hour.
- Take the roast out. It will be very tender, so we recommend using a spoon and tongs to move the meat on to a serving plate. Move the vegetables to your serving plate.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with bread.
Share on Pinterest!Pin at @Butcher_Box!