Last Updated on August 26, 2022
An electric pressure cooker makes it easy to enjoy a hearty pot roast dinner. Liven things up with potatoes mashed with the rich red-wine-and-mushroom cooking liquid, and bright carrots with a lemon vinaigrette.
- 1 pkg ButcherBox Chuck Roast or Shoulder Roast
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- ½ c red wine
- 1 c beef broth
- 1 oz dried porcini mushrooms
- 8 medium carrots peeled
- 1 large onion quartered
Dirty Mashed Potatoes
- 3 medium Yukon gold potatoes halved lengthwise
- 4 oz butter
- ½ c milk
- 2 Tbsp garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp chives minced
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1 Tbsp whole grain mustard
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp champagne vinegar
- ½ tsp cumin
- 15 basil leaves sliced thinly
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- ¼ c olive oil extra virgin
Chuck Roast or Shoulder Roast
- Mix kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika and cumin. Rub mixture all over beef.
- Set Instant Pot on Sauté - High setting and sear beef on all sides, for about 2 minutes per side.
- Add red wine, dried mushrooms and beef broth. Close Instant Pot lid and set on Pressure Cook - High for 40 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl excluding olive oil.
- Slowly add olive oil, whisking continuously until emulsified. Set aside.
- After 40 minutes, vent Instant Pot and test roast for doneness. It should be fork tender but not falling apart. If necessary, pressure cook on high for an additional 10-20 minutes.
- Remove beef and set aside. Place potatoes on the bottom of the Instant Pot, making sure they are submerged ⅔ of the way (add additional beef stock if needed). Place carrots on top of potatoes. Place roast on top of carrots and finally cover with onions.
- Close Instant Pot and set on Pressure Cook - High. Cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- Once it is finished vent using the Quick Release button and remove roast, carrots and onions.
Dirty Mashed Potatoes
- Remove the potatoes, reserving the cooking liquid. Place potatoes in a bowl with butter, garlic, chives and 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Mash to combine, and season to taste.
- After you have taken out the 1 cup of cooking liquid for the dirty mash, turn the Instant Pot back on to the Sauté - High setting and reduce liquid by half to use as a sauce.
- Roughly chop carrots and onion then toss in citrus vinaigrette.
- Split roast, dirty mashed potatoes and citrus carrots into 6 reheatable containers. Drizzle each container with sauce and enjoy lunch or dinner for the week!
Yankel Polak is the Head Chef at ButcherBox.