The honey glaze will seep into the nooks and crannies as the ham bakes. Plan ahead though and put the ham in early so you can let it bake at a low and slow temperature until it’s steamy hot in the center.
- 1 Niman Ranch Half Bone-In Ham approx. 7-10 lbs.
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 tbsps brandy
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Remove the plastic wrapping from the ham, place the ham on a rack in a roasting pan, and allow it to temper at room temperature for about 90 minutes. Tempering will allow the ham to bake more evenly.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Score the ham, making about ¼” deep cuts in layered lines or a criss-cross pattern.
- To make the glaze, combine the ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly to dissolve the sugar.
- Pour one cup of water in the bottom of the roasting pan and brush the glaze liberally on the ham, making sure the glaze gets into the scoring.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 60 minutes. Remove the foil, add more water to the roasting pan, baste the ham with more glaze, turn the heat down to 300°F and roast uncovered for another 60 minutes.
- Baste again and roast for another 30 minutes.
- Remove the ham from the oven, baste a final time, place on a platter and serve.
- Allow 1/4 pound per person for buffet and 1/2 pound for sit-down dinner.