Sweet, caramelized grilled peaches…tall, buttery biscuits…and thick, decadent whipped cream.
Are you drooling yet? You might never go back to the strawberry version of this summer dessert!
- 6 peaches halved and pitted
- ¼ cup pure cane sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon pure cane sugar
- 3 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ounces cold unsalted butter diced into small cubes
- 1½ cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoon whole milk for brushing on shortcake before baking
- ¼ cup turbinado sugar or sanding sugar for sprinkling on shortcake before baking
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place peaches (flesh-side down) on hot side of grill. Grill uncovered for 5 minutes if peaches are firm and 3 minutes for softer peaches.
- After grilling, slice each peach half into 6 individual slices, place in mixing bowl with sugar and toss. Set aside and rest to allow development of natural peach juices.
- Place heavy cream in mixing bowl. Whip with hand mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add confectioners sugar and vanilla extract, and continue to whip until thick. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda in large mixing bowl.
- Add cold butter cubes to flour mixture. Blend in butter with pastry cutter or fingers until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add buttermilk and mix until dough just begins to come together.
- Place dough on well-floured surface and gently knead. Pat out dough to ½” thick disc. Make sure hands and surface stay floured, as this will be a soft dough.
- Punch out 8 shortcakes with a 3” round cutter. This will be done in two batches.
- Place shortcakes on baking sheet with silicone baking mat.
- Brush with whole milk and sprinkle with turbinado sugar or sanding sugar.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- Once cool, split open shortcake and top with grilled peach slices and whipped cream. Enjoy! Shortcakes are best eaten the day of baking.