Last Updated on August 26, 2022
The perfect brunch definitely, always involves cornbread. There’s something about this one that is so deliciously hearty, made in old-fashioned cast-iron and featuring farm-fresh breakfast sausage. I highly recommend a few extra squares of butter on top right after pulling it out of the oven, then watching it melt onto that golden crust.
- 1 pkg ButcherBox Breakfast Sausage
- 1¼ c medium-ground cornmeal
- ¾ c gluten-free baking flour
- ¼ c brown sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1⅓ c milk
- 2 eggs beaten, room temperature
- 8 Tbsp butter melted
- Preheat 10” cast-iron skillet on medium heat. Crumble breakfast sausage into skillet and sauté for 3-4 minutes, or until evenly browned. With a slotted spoon remove sausage from skillet and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place the same skillet used to cook sausage in the oven to preheat. Keep any fat drippings from sausage in skillet, this will add more flavor to your cornbread.
- While oven and skillet are preheating, mix cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl.
- Whisk in milk, eggs and 7 Tbsp of butter until well blended. Add cooked breakfast sausage and stir to combine.
- Remove skillet from oven and grease with remaining 1 Tbsp of butter.
- Pour batter into skillet and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let cornbread cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with your favorite maple syrup!
Yankel Polak is the Head Chef at ButcherBox.