Last Updated on August 26, 2022
Bet you’ve never had chicken and waffles this delicious…and gluten free! The buttermilk makes the chicken unbelievably tender, while the crust is the perfect complement to the deeply flavorful of spices. Of course, the real star here is the waffle – crispy and fluffy. Pair yours with a smoky maple syrup for the ultimate flavor bomb.
- 1 ea ButcherBox Whole Chicken cut into 10 pieces
- 3 c buttermilk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 2 c almond flour
- 3 c gluten-free flour preferred - Bob's Red Mill 1-1 Baking Flour
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 1 c coconut oil for frying
- 1 c ghee for frying
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 c gluten-free flour preferred - Bob's Red Mill 1-1 Baking Flour
- 1¾ c milk
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- ½ c coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- Mix marinade ingredients together in a large enough container to hold chicken with marinade. Toss chicken in marinade until will coated, cover and refrigerate for 8-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- First, BE CAREFUL!! Heat ghee and coconut oil in Dutch oven on medium, preheating oil to 350℉. If you have a table top home fryer or an air fryer this is the time to use it!
- Place almond flour, eggs, gluten free flour in three separate dishes.
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and place on wire rack on top of a baking sheet to drain.
- Gently coat chicken pieces: 1st - almond flour, 2nd - egg, 3rd - gluten free flour.
- Once all chicken is coated carefully place 3-4 chicken pieces at a time into hot oil. Do not over crowd. If using the Dutch oven method for frying be sure to have a reliable thermometer to periodically test temperature. Adjust temperature of stove (higher or lower) if necessary. Also, BE CAREFUL!!
- Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly golden brown. Transfer deep fried chicken to a baking sheet with roasting rack.
- Finish cooking fried chicken in oven for approximately 20 minutes or until thermometer inserted into thickest part reads 165℉.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a mixing bowl whisk eggs until frothy.
- Add remaining waffle ingredients to frothy eggs and gently mix. Don't over mix, batter will be on the chunky side.
- Scoop waffle batter into hot iron and cook until golden brown. Depending on how deep your waffle iron is use 1/3 c - 1/2 c of batter for waffles.
- Serve waffles with fried chicken and a drizzle of your favorite maple syrup!
Share on Pinterest!Pin at @Butcher_Box!
Yankel Polak is the Head Chef at ButcherBox.