In an ideal world, sloppy joes wouldn’t leave you in a food coma. Well, I’m proud to introduce you to the healthy version you’ve been waiting for. Instead of high-carb burger buns, make the even tastier alternative of baked eggplant slices to cover that tender, messy beef.
Eggplant Sloppy JoesPrint Pin
- 1 pack ButcherBox Ground Beef
- 1 green pepper medium dice
- 1 small yellow onion medium dice
- 1 c tomato sauce
- ½ c Paleo ketchup
- 1/4 c cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ c honey
- 2 eggplants into 8-12 round 1” slices
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Preheat sauté pan and add ground beef. Sauté beef until it is 50% browned. Add onions and peppers to ground beef.
- Once the ground beef has completely browned and onions are translucent add remaining ingredients and let simmer for 20 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, toss eggplant with olive oil, salt and pepper. Sear both sides for 3 minutes per side in a hot grill pan or sauté pan.
- Place eggplant on baking sheet pan and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove eggplant from oven, and let cool for 3 minutes. Assemble sloppy joes, using the eggplant slices to sandwich the meat mixture. You’ll need a fork and knife for this one. Enjoy!