Last Updated on August 26, 2022
An eggplant “bun” elevates the classic sloppy joe from a childhood favorite to an easy gluten-free meal. Bring your knife and fork for this one!
- 1 pack ButcherBox Ground Beef
- 1 green pepper medium dice
- 1 small yellow onion medium dice
- 1 c tomato sauce
- ½ c Paleo ketchup
- 1/4 c cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ c honey
- 2 eggplants into 8-12 round 1” slices
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Preheat sauté pan and add ground beef. Sauté beef until it is 50% browned. Add onions and peppers to ground beef.
- Once the ground beef has completely browned and onions are translucent add remaining ingredients and let simmer for 20 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, toss eggplant with olive oil, salt and pepper. Sear both sides for 3 minutes per side in a hot grill pan or sauté pan.
- Place eggplant on baking sheet pan and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove eggplant from oven, and let cool for 3 minutes. Assemble sloppy joes, using the eggplant slices to sandwich the meat mixture and enjoy!
Share on Pinterest!Pin at @Butcher_Box!
Emilie Abijanac is a graduate of New England Culinary Institute with over 20 years of catering experience in Boston. Emilie was the Sous Chef for East Meets West Catering and has worked with Kate’s Table and La Fête. Emilie was also the culinary director of ButcherBox.