Last Updated on August 10, 2021
Let us walk you through the steps to quickly sear ribeye steaks. You can use individual ribeyes for this recipe or cut a ribeye roast into smaller steaks. Basted with garlic, butter, shallots, and thyme, these flavorful ribeyes will become one of your favorite dishes.
- 2 ButcherBox Ribeye Steaks
- kosher salt
- cracked black pepper
- 4 ounces unsalted butter (optional)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 shallots (optional) substitute: ¼ of onion
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme (optional) substitute: any fresh herbs
- Turn exhaust fan on high, or open a window. Searing steaks properly can get a little smoky.
- Preheat pan on medium-high heat.
- Season steaks liberally with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan.
- When butter begins to brown, add steaks, and press gently on the steak with the tongs to ensure good contact with the pan.
- Sear steaks on one side for 2 to 3 minutes or until a nice crust develops.
- While steaks are searing, smash garlic and rough chop shallots.
- Flip steaks and sear for one minute.
- Add garlic, shallots, and thyme.
- Using your spoon, baste steaks with butter, garlic, shallots, and thyme for about one minute.
- Remove steaks they reach an internal temperature of 125°F (for medium-rare steaks) and set aside for 8-10 minutes.