Last Updated on August 26, 2022
You simply cannot serve turkey on Thanksgiving without a steaming hot dish of classic mashed potatoes beside on the side. These garlic-infused mashed potatoes taste even better drowned in a generous helping of turkey gravy.
Classic Mashed Potatoes
This is the one side dish you need to master to complement your holiday bird.Print Pin
- 6 Russet potatoes peeled, rinsed, and halved.
- 1 bulb garlic halved and roasted in olive oil.
- ¾ cup + ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
Roasted Garlic in Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut garlic bulb in half widthwise (peel and all).
- Put in an oven-safe small saucepot with 1/4 cup of olive oil and place in for 20 minutes or until garlic is tender.
- Remove garlic from oil and set oil aside. Let garlic cool slightly and remove the roasted garlic from the peel. Place roasted garlic back in oil and mash to combine.
- Cut potatoes into halves or quarter sections (but not too small).
- Place potatoes in pot on stovetop and cover with water (two inches over potatoes). Add 1 Tbsp of salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Drain water and mash potatoes thoroughly using a potato masher.
- Fold in garlic and oil mixture, sour cream, pepper, and remaining salt. Enjoy!
Share on Pinterest!Pin at @Butcher_Box!
Yankel Polak is the Head Chef at ButcherBox.