Last Updated on August 26, 2022
Meltingly tender with deep, smoky sweetness, this spice-rubbed roast is the hero of the dinner table. A bed of buttery onions and mushrooms soak up all the flavor nuances while it’s in the oven.
- 1 pkg ButcherBox NY Strip Roast
NY Strip Roast Rub
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp coffee
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar omit from recipe for Keto version
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 Tbsp smoked salt or kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 4 cups mushrooms roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp champagne vinegar
- 4 oz butter thinly sliced
- 4 oz butter melted for brushing the roast
- Mix rub ingredients in a small bowl and rub all over roast. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 225°F. Unwrap roast and bring to room temperature, about 40 minutes.
- Mix mushrooms and onions and spread out on sheet pan.
- Sprinkle champagne vinegar and sliced butter onto mushrooms/onion mixture.
- Place roast fat-side up on top of mushroom bed, and roast in oven for 90 minutes, or until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part reads 110°F.
- Remove from oven and rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours.
- 40 minutes before serving, preheat oven to 425°F.
- Brush roast with melted butter and finish roasting for 20 minutes, or until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part reads 125°F.
- Rest for 20 minutes before slicing. Serve with mushrooms and onions over the top and an extra drizzle of oil and smoked salt.