Not all ribs can be baby back ribs. They get their “baby” distinction from being one of the shorter cuts of pork ribs. From the very top of the ribcage, they’re also the leanest of the rib cuts.
Baby back ribs are best cooked over a long period of time, so give them a solid brine and then cover with a generous spice rub. This will help retain moisture and add a ton of flavor. You can also try smoking them over a low fire, then transferring them to the oven. Trust us, it’s worth the wait.
How to Cook Baby Back Ribs
The ButcherBox Kitchen has your guide to fall-off-the-bone ribs with chipotle pineapple BBQ sauce.
Our Favorite Recipe for Baby Back Ribs
These sweet and smoky ribs have a quick spice rub and an easy homemade BBQ sauce.
- 1 rack ButcherBox Baby Back Ribs
- 4 oz paprika
- 2 oz Cajun spice
- 2 oz granulated garlic
- 1 oz black pepper
- 1 oz salt
- 1 oz sugar
- 1 onion minced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1⅓ cup molasses
- 1½ cup cider vinegar
- 2⅔ cup ketchup
- Place ribs bone-side up and gently drag a knife in an ‘X’ pattern across the bones, scoring the meat.
- In a small bowl combine all dry rub ingredients and rub all over ribs coating well. Freeze leftover rub in ziplock bags for future rib dinners.
- Preheat charcoal grill to 250°F. Try and keep the coals off to one side.
- Remove ⅓ of the wood chips from water and place in perforated aluminum pan or foil. Place directly onto coals.
- Place ribs bone-side down on grill, away from the coals, and cover grill.
- Combine ½ cup of cider vinegar and ½ cup of water in spray bottle, and spray ribs once an hour, adding wood chips each time.
- Let ribs smoke at 250°F for 3 hrs, adding small amounts of coal and wood chips as needed.
- Remove ribs from grill, wrap tightly in foil and place bone side down in 300°F preheated oven for 1 ½ hours. Let ribs rest in foil for 30 min after removing from oven.
- For BBQ sauce, sauté onions and garlic until soft, add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 min.
- Brush some sauce on the ribs, throw them on a hot grill for 5 min to reheat and enjoy!