Last Updated on August 26, 2022
Need a low-carb side dish that goes with just about anything? The simple ingredient list means you’ll really taste the butter in this creamy cousin to mashed potatoes.
- 2 ea cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 lbs parsnip peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- 1 stick butter
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Place a steamer basket in a large sauce pot. Add water to just below the bottom of the basket.
- Bring water to boiling on high heat. Add half of the cauliflower florets, cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook cauliflower until fork tender, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Place steamed cauliflower in another large sauce pot.
- Repeat steaming process for the rest of the cauliflower and parsnips. Remember to check water level between steaming processes, you may need to add more.
- In a small sauce pot heat heavy cream, butter, salt and pepper on low heat.
- Once butter is melted, pour over steamed cauliflower and parsnips and mash with either a hand masher or mixer. For extra creamy purée use a blender and gradually pour warm heavy cream / butter mixture while blending.
- Transfer to serving dish and enjoy!
Emilie Abijanac is a graduate of New England Culinary Institute with over 20 years of catering experience in Boston. Emilie was the Sous Chef for East Meets West Catering and has worked with Kate’s Table and La Fête. Emilie was also the culinary director of ButcherBox.