This is a quintessential recipe from the James Beard Award-winning team of Mike Wiley and Andrew Taylor, chefs at the esteemed Eventide Oyster Co. in Portland, Maine.
This is a dish that draws lines of hungry patrons any time of year, and now you can cook it yourself at home with the easy-to-follow instructions below.
Classic Lobster Roll
- 1 8 ounce package Cold Cracked Claw & Knuckle Meat
- 1 quart water
- ½ peel of lemon (Optional)
- 1 sprig of thyme (Optional)
- 1 sprig of dill (Optional)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ sprig dill chopped fine
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt to taste
- 2 New England style split-top buns
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Put the drained lobster meat in a non-reactive and heat resistant container that holds at least 2 quarts in volume.
- In a separate pot heat water with remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. When boiling, turn off heat and pour the boiling liquid over the cold cracked lobster. Set a timer for 6 minutes and remove cooked meat from warm liquid with a slotted spoon and set to dry on a plate lined with a paper towel. Chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- For the dressing, mix mayo, dill, and lemon juice together in bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix dressing a bit at a time into chilled lobster meat until desired consistency is reached.
- Melt butter in pan over medium heat and griddle both sides of the two hot dog buns until golden brown on both sides and the interior of the bun is soft and warm. Split the lobster salad between the two buns and enjoy!