Make a classic bacon cheeseburger with this easy-to-follow recipe. The key to getting a perfect bacon cheeseburger is to cook the bacon in the oven beforehand and then reheat it on the grill (we use Tender Belly bacon for this recipe).
Included is a quick-to-master recipe for our “secret” burger sauce.
- 2 pounds ButcherBox ground beef
- 1 package Tender Belly bacon
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 brioche buns
- Whole butter
- 3 slices dry-aged cheddar
- 1 bunch Boston Bibb lettuce
- 1 beefsteak tomato
- 1 red onion
BB Burger Sauce
- BBQ sauce
- 2 dill pickles finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Malt vinegar
- In an oven preheated to 400°F, cook the bacon on a cooking sheet for 15–20 minutes.
- Mix the two pounds of ground beef. Form into 3 10-ounce patties.
- Salt and pepper the burgers liberally on both sides and sear on the hot side of the grill.
- Turn the burgers ¼ after 2 ½ minutes. Cook for another minute as the edges start to brown before flipping to the other side. Cook for another two and half minutes. Turn ¼, add bacon and cheese.
- Cook for another minute and let it rest for a few more minutes until it reaches an internal temperature of 145–150°F for medium.
- Brush the buns with whole butter and toast for a minute on the cooler side of the grill.
- Break off a few leaves of the lettuce to make a bed for the burger. Slice the beefsteak tomato into thick slices and the red onion into thin slices. Coat buns with the sauce, add bacon cheeseburger, and stack with lettuce, tomato, and onion.
For the BB Burger Sauce
- Mix equal amounts of mayonnaise, ketchup, and BBQ sauce in a bowl. Add diced pickles, garlic powder, and a splash of malt vinegar.
- To form perfect patties, first cut off the top of a large yogurt, cottage cheese, or sour cream container. Lay plastic wrap on a cutting board and then press the meat into the center of the ring you created from the container. Pat down the meat until it forms a perfectly round patty.