Last Updated on July 6, 2021
Bring the flavors of Germany to your table with your favorite lager and two packs of Niman Ranch Bratwurst. This beer-braised brat recipe is ready in under an hour and is incredibly delicious!
- 1 tablespoon oil, for cooking (We like avocado oil for its high smoke point.)
- 2 packages Niman Ranch Bratwurst
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 3 cups green cabbage shredded
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup beer Any lager works well here.
- 4 cups sauerkraut drained
- Heat the oven to 325°F.
- Heat a large oven safe sauté pan on stovetop over medium heat.
- Add cooking oil to hot pan. Sear bratwurst for 3 minutes on each side or until they get a nice brown color.
- Remove bratwurst from pan and set aside. Add onions and cabbage to sauté pan, season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- While onions and cabbage are in the sauté pan, add beer and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring and scraping the pan to get any browned bits up off the bottom of the pan. Stir in drained sauerkraut and mix.
- Return bratwurst and any juices to pan. Cover and place in oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve with brown mustard and a cold beer!
Share on Pinterest!Pin at @Butcher_Box!
Emilie Abijanac is a graduate of New England Culinary Institute with over 20 years of catering experience in Boston. Emilie was the Sous Chef for East Meets West Catering and has worked with Kate’s Table and La Fête. Emilie was also the culinary director of ButcherBox.