Bring the flavors of Germany to your table with your favorite lager and two packs of Niman Ranch Bratwurst. This beer-braised brat recipe is ready in under an hour and is incredibly delicious!
- 1 tablespoon oil, for cooking (We like avocado oil for its high smoke point.)
- 2 packages Niman Ranch Bratwurst
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 3 cups green cabbage shredded
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup beer Any lager works well here.
- 4 cups sauerkraut drained
- Heat the oven to 325°F.
- Heat a large oven safe sauté pan on stovetop over medium heat.
- Add cooking oil to hot pan. Sear bratwurst for 3 minutes on each side or until they get a nice brown color.
- Remove bratwurst from pan and set aside. Add onions and cabbage to sauté pan, season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- While onions and cabbage are in the sauté pan, add beer and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring and scraping the pan to get any browned bits up off the bottom of the pan. Stir in drained sauerkraut and mix.
- Return bratwurst and any juices to pan. Cover and place in oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve with brown mustard and a cold beer!