Last Updated on May 2, 2022
Ready to make the best chicken wings you’ve ever had? It’s all about the crisp. These three simple tricks will ensure tasty, crispy wings every time:
- Try to dry. After you’ve seasoned your wings, place them on a rack skin-side up. Pop the rack in the fridge for about an hour before cooking. This will help the skin dry out, creating that beautiful crisp we all know and love.
- They’re better with butter. Right before you put your wings in the oven, gently brush them with melted butter. You’ll be amazed at the difference it makes when it comes to a crispy texture.
- Release some steam. Halfway through cooking, crack the oven door for a few seconds to allow some steam to escape—less moisture equals more crunch.
It’s time to get cooking. Find the full recipe for our Easy Baked Chicken Wings with Tangy Yogurt Dip below.
- 3 pounds ButcherBox chicken wings
Chicken Wing Rub
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 8 tablespoons butter melted
Tangy Yogurt Dip
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon reserved dry rub
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Mix all dry rub ingredients except butter. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the dry rub for the dip.
- Pour dry rub over wings and mix well.
- Place wings skin-side up on wire rack and refrigerate uncovered for one hour or overnight. You can skip this step and go straight to the oven, but that hour in the fridge really helps with crispiness!
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Melt butter and brush gently over wings.
- Bake wings in oven. After 25 minutes, carefully open oven just enough to let some steam vent. Cook for 20 more minutes, or until skin is crispy, and meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of chicken wing — without touching bone — reads 165°F.
- Mix all dip ingredients. This can be done a day or two in advance for maximum flavor.
- Enjoy the best wings ever!
- Chicken is done when internal temperature reaches 165°F, followed by a 3 minute rest. Cook time will depend on cut size and cooking method.